Make a Light-Up Star of Bethlehem
Lighting the Way
The Star of Bethlehem is a symbol of Christmas. Many Christians believe that a bright star drew three wise men to the town of Bethlehem to visit the baby Jesus.
- 8½-inch-by-8½-inch cardstock
- 2¾-inch-by-2¾- inch cardtock
- copper tape
- CR2032 lithium battery
- clear tape
- LED diode
- hole punch
- To Make the Star: Fold the larger sheet of cardstock in half diagonally. Unfold it, then fold it diagonally the other way. Unfold.
- Fold it in half from top to bottom. Unfold it, then fold it in half from side to side. Unfold.
- Fold each side into the center, making a small crease. Unfold.
- On each side, cut from the edge to the crease made in step 3.
- Fold the cut line over to make a triangle, as shown. Unfold.
- Repeat step 5 seven more times to make the folds shown.
- Glue two triangles together (one on top of the other) to create a triangular cone.
- Repeat for the other triangles, creating a 3D star.
- To Make the Circuit: On the smaller cardstock, draw the circuit diagram. Place copper tape alongside the lines, as shown.
- Place the battery on the negative line, positive-side up. Connect the top of the battery on the positive line with the copper tape. Cover with clear tape.
- Spread the legs of the LED diode. Place the longer leg on the positive line and the shorter leg on the negative line.
- Cover each leg with copper tape. The light should turn on. Tape the circuit square to the back of the star. Punch a hole in the star. Add a ribbon hanger.
By: Angie Neer
Video By: Brooke Wehrle