Great Green Guacamole
When shopping for avocados, make sure the spot under the stem is green, not brown. A ripe avocado has purple-black skin.
- 1 ripe avocado
- ¼ cup prepared salsa
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Fresh vegetables or tortilla chips
- Before You Begin: Wash your hands.
Adult: Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Use a spoon to scoop the avocado from the skin. Put the avocado on a cutting board.
- Cut the avocado into small pieces using a child-safe knife or butter knife. Put the pieces into a bowl.
- Mash the avocado with a fork or potato masher until slightly chunky.
- Add salsa, lime juice, garlic, salt, and pepper to the avocado. Mash gently.
- Place the guacamole in a serving bowl. Arrange with cut vegetables or tortilla chips.
By: Sandra K. Nissenberg, M.S., R.D.